Spiced Pilau Rice: Learn How To Make This Fragrant Rice Dish
SPICED PILAU RICE: LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS FRAGRANT RICE DISH
Spiced pilau rice is the queen of rice dishes. This fragrant preparation is laden with aromatic spices and colored with saffron, each bite is a reminder of far away lands. If you are in the mood for an exotic rice preparation then this pilau rice recipe is a must.
WHAT IS SPICED PILAU RICE?
The term 'pilau' refers to an Indian and Middle Eastern rice dish. The spices in rice pilaf may include cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and cumin, among other spices. Pilau may also contain nuts, vegetables, meats and dried fruits such as raisins.
This dish is also known as Indian rice pilaf or 'pulao'. It is important to note that the rice used in pilau is basmati, which is a long grain rice that is highly aromatic.
SPICED PILAU RICE RECIPE
To make spiced pilau rice for 4 people you will need:
- 250g (1 1/4 cup) basmati rice
- 1.5g cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 50g (3tbsp) raisins
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 pinch saffron
- 50g (3 tbsp) slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- the juice of one lime
- salt to taste
1. Soften the raisins in lukewarm water.
2. Boil 500 ml water seasoned with salt, ground black pepper, the cardamom pods, cloves, saffron and cinnamon.
3. Add the rice to the pot and simmer for approx. 15 minutes with a lid on.
4. Remove from the heat and allow to soak for a further 10 minutes.
5. Dry roast the almonds and mix into the rice along with the lime juice and the raisins.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnish with lime slices and cinnamon