VEGAN SNOWBALL COOKIES: A MUST-TRY RECIPE FOR THIS CHRISTMAS FAVORITE
Vegan snowball cookies are the perfect addition to your Christmas celebration. Our special cookie recipe yields vegan snowball cookies that melt in your mouth and make a beautiful homemade gift.
These cookies go by many names: Russian tea cakes, Mexican wedding cookies, Southern butterballs, Italian wedding cookies, snowdrops, and of course, snowballs. Whatever the name this cookie is always a crowd pleaser. Making them is super easy!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SNOWBALL COOKIES
Our vegan snowball cookies are made with ground almonds but you can substitute with the nut of your choice.
yields 4 dozen 1-inch vegan snowball cookies
2 cups (240g) of flour
3/4 cup (170g) of almond meal (or crushed almonds)
1 cup (226g) of margarine at room temperature
1/2 cup (113g) of powdered sugar + more for rolling the cookies
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
1. Place the margarine and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Cream together until completely incorporated.
2. Add the almond meal, pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Blend until mixed together.
3. Continue blending at slow speed and add the flour a little at a time until fully incorporated. The mixture will form into a dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Form 1 inch balls of dough and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove the cookies from the baking pan and place them on a cooking rack.
5. While they are still warm roll the cookies in sugar and return them to the cooling rack. Once cool roll them in sugar again and serve. Enjoy!
MORE: Learn how to make vegan Christmas bars