HOW TO COOK SOPAS: THE DELICIOUSLY COMFORTING FILIPINO CHICKEN SOUP
HOW TO COOK SOPAS
When it comes to Filipino comfort foods sopas are at the top of the list. This delicious chicken soup packed with veggies and pasta is a favorite on rainy days and even enjoyed for breakfast.
So how do you cook sopas? You'll be glad to know the preparation is similar to traditional chicken soup but with a few extra ingredients. Let's take a look at how it's prepared!
CHICKEN SOPAS INGREDIENTS
Below you'll find the ingredients you need to make a simple but delicious pot of sopas for four people:
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 chicken bouillion cube
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tsp of vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the chicken breasts in a pot. Cover with water, add a teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender. Turn off the heat. Remove the chicken from the pot (reserve the chicken broth for later) and shred.
2. Place the pot back on the stove. Heat up the vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot. Cook until translucent.
3. Add the garlic to the pot along with the chicken bouillon cube. Add 3 cups of water to the pot and the reserved chicken broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the chicken to the pot along with the pasta. Cook for 10 minutes then add the cabbage. Cook just two more minutes and turn off the heat. Adjust the seasoning. Serve and enjoy!
CHICKEN SOPAS CALORIES
One cup of chicken sopas contains 351 calories and is loaded with vitamins A, C, calcium, and iron.
VARIATION OF SOPAS
There are many variations of sopas. Some sopas are creamy thanks to the addition of evaporated milk, others contain hot dogs (which are added last minute to prevent the broth from turning pink), and some contain pork or beef.
Not to mention, sopas can be made with a variety of pasta shapes, with elbow macaroni and spaghetti being favorites. If you are crunched for time, leftover rotisserie chicken makes a great addition to sopas.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN SOPAS
To make creamy chicken sopas prepare the soup as directed above. Once finished add one can (12 oz.) evaporated milk to the soup. Stir well. Simmer for three minutes and serve. You'll enjoy the ultimate silky, creamy, chicken sopas ever.