Cooking Tips: How To Cook a Spiral Ham
COOKING TIPS: HOW TO COOK A SPIRAL HAM
PHOTO J HENDRON/FLICKR
A baked spiral ham is a thing of beauty. It is easy to make, delicious and great for feeding a crowd, especially during the busy holiday season. With our technique you'll only need a handful of ingredients to whip up the glazed ham of your dreams. Your guests will be delighted by the flavor and you'll get all the credit.
Ready to get started? Fine Dining Lovers teaches you how to cook a spiral ham like a pro.
WHAT IS A SPIRAL HAM?
Spiral ham is a type of ham that is cured, pre-cooked and sliced for convenience. It simply needs to be heated up in the oven and glazed before being served. It's great for entertaining because it doesn't need to be carved.
WHAT GLAZE CAN I USE ON SPIRAL HAM?
We've got 7 glazed ham recipes you'll love but for a quick glaze you can combine: 1 cup of melted butter, 1 cup honey, 1 1/2 cup brown sugar and a pinch of ground cloves. Whisk together and keep warm until it's time to glaze the ham.
HOW TO COOK A SPIRAL HAM
Follow these steps to cook spiral hams of any size:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Remove all packaging from the ham.
3. Place the ham cut-side down on a roasting pan (if using a disposable aluminum roasting pan place it atop a baking pan for support).
4. Cover the ham with foil or a lid to prevent it from drying out.
5. Bake for 15-18 per pound minutes until warmed through.
6. Uncover the spiral ham and glaze generously, ensuring the glaze gets into each slice.
7. Return to the oven and cook for 30 more minutes, basting every 10 minutes.
8. Allow the ham to rest for at least 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!