Artworks of Johnson Tsang
PROFILE OF JOHNSON TSANGJohnson Tsang’s works mostly employ realist sculptural techniques accompanied by surrealist imaginations. Johnson specialises in ceramics, stainless steel sculptures and public art projects. He especially loves to capture the beauty of versatile splashes with vivid sculptural expressions.
Johnson's sculptures have been exhibited in the United States, Denmark, Italy, Switzerland, Korea, Taiwan, China and Hong Kong. In 2011 and 2012, Johnson’s porcelain sculptures were awarded the "Special Prize" of "Korea Gyeonggi International Ceramix Biennale 2011 International Competition" and "Grand Prize" of "2012 Taiwan International Ceramics Biennale" respectively. He is the first Chinese artist who received both of these two prestigious international awards. In 2009, Tsang received “The Secretary for Home Affairs' Commendation” from the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region for his outstanding achievements in international art events.
Chinese artist Johnson Tsang reaches deep into the well of cultural history to inspire himself and his art. His sculptures reflect the influences of the Western world by using a traditional drink for inspiration. Yuanyang is a local drink that showcases perfectly that very mix of influences; made from coffee and milk tea, both strong influences of Eastern and Western cultures are represented in the drink. In his art, Tsang uses ceramics and stainless steel to showcase a brief kiss amidst a splash of spilt Yuanyang.
With an adept understanding of ceramics and anatomy, Hong-Kong based artist Johnson Tsang (previously here and here) creates strange and unexpected anthropomorphic sculptures where human forms seem to splash effortlessly through functional objects like bowls, plates, and cups. While the works shown here are mostly innocent and comical in nature the artist is unafraid of veering into more macabre subject matter in other artworks that grapple with war and violence.
Artistic achievements of Johnson Tsang:
- Grand Prize, 2012 Taiwan Ceramics Biennale
- Ceramic Design Award, 2011 Bienal Internacional de Cerámica, Manises, Spain,
- Special Prize, Korea Gyeonggi International Ceramix Biennale 2011 International Competition
- Finalist, 30è Concurs Internacional de Ceràmica l’Alcora 2010, Spain
- Merit Award, 6th Korea Cheongju International Craft Biennale 2009
- First Prize, Tea Ware by Hong Kong Potters Competition 2001, 2005 and 2010
- Outstanding Workmanship Award, Tea Ware by Hong Kong Potters Competition 2007
- Finalist, Carouge International Ceramics Competition, Switzerland, 2007 & 2009
- Finalist, 2007 Bienal Internacional de Cerámica, Manises, Spain
- Selected Work, Hong Kong Art Biennial Exhibition, 2005
- Finalist, The 3rd World Ceramic Biennale 2005 Korea International Competition
- Finalist, The First Taiwan Ceramics Biennale, 2004
- Champion, Philippe Charriol Foundation 16th Annual Art Competition, 2001
- Johnson Tsang received “The Secretary for Home Affairs’ Commendation” from the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in 2009 for its outstanding achievements in international art events.
Public Art Awards:
- Commissioned Work, Sai Kung District Council Public Art Project 2009
- Commissioned Work, New Face of Heritage ─ Installation of Public Artworks at Yat Tung Estate, Tung Chung, Stage II, 2004
- Selected Work, Public Art Scheme 2006
- Selected Work, Weather Machines ─ Kinetic Sculptures Design Competition, 2005
- Earth to Earth 淨土
- Earth to Earth 淨土 Johnson Tsang Porcelain, 2008
Tsang’s Works were collected by:
- Hong Kong Museum of Art,
- The Hong Kong Heritage Museum,
- Philippe Charriol Foundation,
- Korea Ceramic Foundation,
- Korea Cheongju International Craft Biennale Committee,
- Taipei County
- Yingge Ceramics Museum
- and private collectors.
Johnson Cheung-shing TSANG (曾章成)
Tel: (852)-2572 0632
Fax: (852)-2591 0176